Veterans Upward Bound
The Veterans Upward Bound program provides academic, career, and financial assistance to qualified veterans at no cost, as well as organized social and cultural activities.
Military personnel and their dependents are to remain eligible for in-state tuition benefits at WNCC as long as Nebraska remains their home of record.
In-state tuition rates apply to active duty military members and dependents of those members who are stationed in Nebraska.
If the military member is reassigned to another state, the military member's dependent will maintain eligibility for in-state tuition as long as the dependent is continuously enrolled in a degree program at a state institution.
How to Apply
- Visit one of the VUB locations nearest you and one of the VUB Advisors will assist you in filling out an application.
- Or, complete the online enrollment form and contact us to make an appointment to see us in person!
- Limited income and/or first generation
- Discharged after January 31, 1955
- 181 or more days of active service
- Other than dishonorably discharged
- Certifying officials for all Montgomery GI Bill, and 1606/1607 National Guard benefits
- VUB provides assistance to all eligible veterans in securing their GI Montgomery benefits. Additional information about funding college or vocation/technical schooling is always available.
- VUB advisors also offer assistance in locating and applying for scholarship.
VUB Career Advising
- VUB advisors assist veterans in exploring possible career choices and offer current information on specific job outlooks, training and skill requirements.
- Information is also available concerning VA work study, vocational rehabilitation, health services, and VA Medical facilities.
- Organized activities such as attending the TRIO College Leadership Track seminar, participation in the Veterans Day Parade, and an all-day trip to Denver, CO, to experience a live theatre performance.
- Various workshops and field trips are scheduled throughout the year; check with you local VUB advisor for the most current schedule of events.
- VUB offers academic refresher courses in math, writing, reading, computer and study skills; special instruction and individual tutoring are also available.
- VUB advisors can assist with college curriculum information and preparing for college, vocational or technical school entrance/transfer.
Other Veterans Information Sources
- The National Association of Veterans Upward Bound Project Personnel
- Employment Assistance for Veterans
- Support Network for Veterans
- TogetherWeServed.com: The Finest in Military Community Heritage Websites
- Returning Service Members of Operation Enduring Freedom / Operation Iraqi Freedom
* WNCC's VUB program is funded by the U.S. Department of Education for $222,267.