General Eligibility Criteria


To receive aid from any of the federal student aid programs, an applicant must meet all of the following criteria:

  • Have financial need, except for some loans
  • Have a high school diploma or GED certificate or have completed home schooling at the secondary level.
  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an approved program at WNCC for the purpose of obtaining a diploma, certificate, or degree. Apply for Admission to WNCC.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Have a Social Security Number.
  • Be making satisfactory academic progress toward completion of a diploma, certificate, or degree.
  • Certify that financial aid funds will be used only for educational purposes.
  • Not be in default on a federal student loan.
  • Not owe a repayment of a federal grant.
  • Be registered with Selective Service, if required.
  • Be enrolled at least half time (six credits) for most programs.

The U.S. Department of Education interfaces with other federal databases to confirm several of these criteria.

Satisfactory Academic Progress is Important

In addition to general eligibility requirements, the student must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements at the end of each semester. For details on Satisfactory Academic Progress, read the WNCC Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

Scholarship Eligibility

To receive scholarship aid, students must meet the criteria of each specific scholarship, as outlined in the acceptance letter the student signs and returns to the Financial Aid Office when the scholarship is awarded. All scholarships require at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA.

View the WNCC Financial Guide for other scholarship criteria. Need-based scholarships usually require the student to complete the FAFSA to demonstrate eligibility.

Students must complete the FAFSA and scholarship applications each year by the priority deadline of March 1 in order to be considered for limited fund aid for the following academic year. All additional documentation requested by the Financial Aid Office must also be submitted to complete application processing. Students may only receive aid from one institution in any term.