Types of Financial Aid


The student and his/her family have the primary responsibility for financing a college education. However, WNCC participates in a wide variety of federal, state, private and institutional programs designed to assist families with college-related expenses when their own resources are insufficient. These programs include grants and scholarships, work programs, and low-interest loans.

Financial aid packages are structured to meet the particular needs of each recipient and may vary according to financial resources available and the student's enrollment level. A new application is required for each academic year of enrollment.


Scholarships do not have to be repaid. Criteria may include academic performance, special talents, activity participation, financial need, community service and other factors. Funds are provided by WNCC, the WNCC Foundation, the Western Nebraska Education Endowment Association, as well as civic and community organizations and others.

Federal Aid

In order for your eligibility to be determined, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. You can apply as early as January 1 for the academic year beginning the following fall. The FAFSA is FREE and can be completed online.

The FAFSA is a standard form available in English or Spanish that collects demographic and financial information about the student and his/her family. The family must have all previous year's tax returns and other income information available in order to complete the FAFSA. With this information, the Educational Opportunity Center can fill the FAFSA out for you if you would prefer not to do it yourself. Call 308.635.6777 to schedule an appointment. The EducationQuest Foundation also schedules dates to be in the area to complete FAFSAs for students for free.

Be sure to include WNCC's school code 002560 and meet WNCC's priority deadline of March 1. Limited fund grants are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis to applicants who meet the priority deadline.


Federal Pell Grant

Need-based aid for undergraduate students that is an entitlement; if you meet eligibility criteria, you will receive the Pell grant. You do not have to meet the priority deadline to receive it.

  • From $650 to $6,095, depending on EFC, based on full-time enrollment of 12+ credits for 2018-19 academic year.
  • The Pell grant amount you are entitled to is a fixed amount. What you would receive in Pell at WNCC is the same as you would receive at any other school, so the grant will cover more costs at institutions with lower tuition and fee rates.
  • The amount of Pell grant you may receive over your lifetime is limited by federal law to be the equivalent of 6 years of Pell grant funding. The maximum amount of Pell grant funding you can receive each year is equal to 100%, so the 6-year equivalent is 600%.  Your Pell Lifetime Eligibility Used percentage will be reported on the Student Aid Report you receive after filing your FAFSA.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

Limited fund awarded to highest-need, Pell eligible students.

  • Up to $800 based on full-time enrollment.

Nebraska Opportunity Grant

Nebraska residency required and awards must be approved by the state Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education before disbursement. Limited fund, need-based aid awarded based on meeting the March 1 priority deadline.

  • Up to $1,600 based on full-time enrollment.

Federal Work Study

Need-based employment program

  • Student can earn up to $2,000 per year (around 10 hours of work per week) at $9.00 per hour, depending on job placement and requirements.

These part-time jobs pay at least minimum wage and provide flexible hours. Some jobs involve community service activities. The federal government and WNCC provide funds for the need-based Federal Work Study program. (WNCC also funds other part-time student employment that is not need-based and is not offered as part of the financial aid package.)

Federal Loans

Federal Direct Student Loans (in student's name)

See more information on our Federal Direct Student Loan page.

PLUS Loans (in parent's name)

See more information on our Federal PLUS Loan page.