The Military and Veterans Affairs Office serves as a resource center and welcomes all military connected students and families. 

The Military and Veterans Affairs Office at WNCC is the certification site for Veterans Administration educational benefits including

  • Montgomery GI Bill®, (Chapter 30)
  • Vocational rehabilitation, (Chapter 31)
  • Post 9/11 GI Bill®, (Chapter 33)
  • Dependent's benefits, (Chapter 35)
  • National Guard and Reservists, (1606 and 1607)
  • MyCAA program for spouses

For applications, payment rates, and more information about these education programs visit U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Education and TrainingAnyone who wishes to use any of the benefits can contact this office for further information and assistance.

Phone: 308.635.6120

Support services include assistance with education benefits applications, college curriculum information, and academic advising in line with education benefits. Information is also available concerning county Veterans Service Officers, VA Hospitals, and adjustment and veterans’ health professionals.

Important Notice for Chapter 35 Dependents – Nebraska State Education Benefits. You may also be eligible for a tuition & fees waiver through the State Department of Veterans Affairs. For further application information, contact your local County Veterans Service Officer.

The office supports the Student Veterans Organization and works in conjunction with TRIO Veterans Upward Bound Program. We also serve as a resource center and welcome all military connected students and families.

In-state tuition rates apply to active duty military members and dependents of those members who are stationed in Nebraska.

If the military member is reassigned to another state, the military member's dependent will maintain eligibility for in-state tuition as long as the dependent is continuously enrolled in a degree program at a state institution.

Student Leave of Absence for Military Duty
• GI Benefits

Student Veterans Organization

The Student Veterans Organization at WNCC is a student lead group consisting of military veterans and family members. The purpose of the organization is to ensure that veterans, active duty personal, reservists and their families are receiving all benefits entitled to them, and to ensure a contact to readjustment counseling should they feel the need. In addition, to provide a fellowship of like-minded individuals in order to create a network of student and successful alumni in order to provide professional and leadership development.

For more information, please contact the Military and Veterans Affairs Office located in the Williams Building on the Scottsbluff Campus.

Phone: 308.635.6120


Where do I start?

Contact the Military and Veterans Affairs office to set up an appointment to discuss your plans. You will need to apply to WNCC.

How long does it take to receive my first GI Bill® payment?

It depends on the education benefits you choose. If you are a new applicant for Post 9/11 benefit, the tuition and fees will be sent directly to the school two weeks prior to the beginning of the semester. At that point in time, you should receive your book stipend. The monthly housing allowance and Montgomery GI Bill® payments should arrive within the first few days of the month after classes have started. (September and February) We recommend you select the automatic deposit so you will receive your money sooner and more efficiently.

Do I need to recertify for my classes each semester?

Yes. You must contact us as soon as you are ready to enroll (the sooner the better). You should do this as soon as the class schedules come out in print or on the WNCC website. Come in to the office or call us to let us know you have enrolled in classes. We will have to approve your selection of courses to assure the VA that these classes fit into your program of study.

What number can I call at the St. Louis VA Regional Center to find out about the status of my educational benefits?

Problems number: 888.442.4551

How do I secure copies of my military transcripts and who should they be sent to?

JST is the Joint Services Transcript that has replaced the Coast Guard Institute Transcript, the Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS) and the Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART). JST is an academically accepted document approved by the American Council on Education (ACE) to validate a service member's military occupational experience and training along with the corresponding ACE college credit recommendations. You can find your military transcript at, or our office staff will assist you in obtaining it.

Air Force - Fax a written request to: 913.684.2011 or write to : Air Force Transcripts, 130 West Maxwell Blvd., Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama 36112

Will my VA Education benefits affect my Financial Aid eligibility?

Veterans can receive VA Education benefits and federal student aid (depending on eligibility as determined on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Veteran's education benefits are recorded on the FASFA as resources, but NOT as income, and are not used in calculating a student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC). A student's Chapter benefits are not considered a resource and are not counted against most need-based aid. Therefore, these veterans may be eligible for Pell grant and subsidized loans, depending on other eligibility requirements. Contact the WNCC Financial Aid Office for more information.

How do I get my textbooks if I am taking classes online?

The bookstore will mail them to you directly. You can contact them at 308.635.6066 or order online through your portal.

How do I apply for Vocational Rehabilitation benefits for entering college?

You can apply online at The local contact for this benefit is:

Patricia Nelson, NCC, LPC, CVRC
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment
Western Nebraska VR&E Office
P.O. Box 54 2225 Legion Park
Sidney, NE 69162